Home Decorating and Staging
Insider Secrets to a Beautiful Home
Decorating a Nightstand or Dresser
Decorating a nightstand or dresser is fun, easy, and will
impress your buyer! Once you know the formula, you can create any number of
lovely combinations to add charm to your bedroom.
Think of your nightstands as the bookends for your bed. Symmetry
is pleasing, so strive to visually balance both sides of the bed. Lamps
don't have to match exactly, but it helps if they're similar in size
If you have room for a dresser, use the same formula to create a
beautiful display. You can make your arrangement as simple or elaborate
as you wish, but strive to keep it consistent with the rest of your home.
Formula for Decorating a Nightstand or Dresser
- Balance both sides of the bed with two matching nightstands and two matching lamps, or
- Balance both sides visually with similar size items. See an example in
Staging a Bedroom.
- If your room is very small, one nightstand is fine.
- Usually an odd number of accessories looks best.
- Vary the heights of your accessories: tall, medium, small.
- Include a floral or some greenery.
- Keep your
colors consistent with the rest of the home.
- Add something fun or interesting.
- Keep it clean and simple.
- The mother of pearl lamp is our tall starting point.
- Add a medium sized plant.
- Finish with a small stack of pretty books (the stack counts as one item, visually).
- A tall silk orchid complements the creamy color scheme.
- A short, vintage red box looks at home with the antique furniture. If you're showing your home, put your valuables away.
- We fiinished with the medium sized photo of the owner's puppy.
- Larger, more luxurious homes call for larger accents. Start with two tall lamps. Terracotta lampshades keep the color scheme flowing.
- Medium height accents stair-step down from the
- Decorative metal sculpture and two candlesticks with terracotta
candles on the left.
- A clock and framed photo on the right.
- Potted greenery on each side.
- Finish with the short items: a pretty carved box on the left, and a small stack of books on the right.
- Two medium sized matching crystal lamps on the dresser carry the feminine theme.
- A tall vase of pale silk peonies are striking in the middle of the dresser.
- On the right, a framed photo and a small clock stair-step down from the peonies.
- On the left, a decorative jewelry box is just right.
- On the nightstand, a different crystal lamp, a medium
bouquet of pale yellow flowers, and a short stack of books is complementary without being matchy.
By starting with the basic formula and then turning your
creativity loose, you can come up with many beautiful combinations for
decorating a nightstand or a dresser.
Building a Table Display. The best displays seem natural, random, easy. Masters know how to make the difficult look effortless because they've done it so many times. To the novice, the task can be baffling. But the mystery is an illusion, because beneath the beauty there is a formula. And within the formula there are endless combinations. Building a Table Display
What's Your Favorite Nightstand or Dresser
Do you have a favorite nightstand or dresser decorating idea? Please share it!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Return from Decorating a Nightstand or Dresser to
Alex Hinst is a home stager and decorator with hundreds of success stories, including designing multiple investor home renovations. Alex has had the great pleasure of contributing to Denver's exciting urban renewal scene.
Alex Hinst Designs is located in Denver's Historic Highlands. Contact