Staging a Beautiful Kitchen is Easy...
There's a Formula
Staging a kitchen is like icing a cake. It pulls the final product together and makes it special. The kitchen is the heart of the home and should cause excitement in your buyer because the emotion of excitement sells homes. Always remember, the buyer is looking for their
home. If you can deliver the dream, they'll buy your home.
Basic Kitchen Essentials
- Clean - Looks clean, feels clean, smells clean
(clean kitchen tips)
- In Good
- All appliances in good working order. It also helps if they match
- Upgrades - Consider upgrading your appliances, counter tops or cabinets (cabinets can also be painted) IF your
thinks it might bring you a higher price when you go to market. See Molly's Before and After kitchen and how her
commitment to staging
delivered a higher selling price for her home
- Final Touches - Add some color and fun
Dan and Lisa's Story
Dan and Lisa are a young couple with two small children. They'd outgrown their suburban condo and were ready for a house with a yard. Even though their kitchen was new and beautiful, their busy lifestyle was written all over it.
What Happened in this Room?
- Everything was put away
- Counter was staged with a tall floral in the corner and a tray with a cluster of grapes and a bottle of wine
- Now you can see the beautiful tile accents in the back-splash, the open view into the living room and the pretty pendant lighting
- Dan and Lisa's home was under contract in two and one-half weeks, even though it was surrounded by similar condos that had been on the market for months! See more Before and After pictures of Dan and Lisa's
Making an Outdated Kitchen More Appealing
Outdated kitchens are harder to sell, but not impossible. It just takes a little more imagination. The value of this home had dropped and the seller's budget didn't allow for updating cabinets, counters and appliances.
Outdated Kitchen Before
Outdated Kitchen After
What Happened in this Room?
- Everything was taken off the counters and the refrigerator
- Pink walls were painted Sherwin Williams Kilim Beige
- A big brass star over the stove fills the empty space between the outdated stove and vent
- Each corner of the counter has a pretty vignette. Open cookbook on a stand with two small bowls of fake fruit on the left, and three vinegar bottles on the right. Each side softened with a little green ivy
The Kitchen Staging Formula
Remember, you're not decorating, you're marketing. You're selling space, counter tops, appliances, cabinets and floors
- Remove everything from the counters that isn't essential
- Soften the corners of the counter with something pretty consistent with your
- Tuck a little greenery around it
- Use fake food to create a vignette
- Add a touch of whimsy to put a smile on the buyer's face
- Keep it fun and simple. Help the buyer fall in love with your home
See lots of ideas, pictures, and step-by-step instructions for how to create the model home kitchen look in
staging a kitchen counter.
Return to Home Page